The Swan Hill District Health 2016-2019 Strategic Plan includes: To “Develop our workforce to ensure safe and sustainable health services”.
To address the Strategic Plan, Swan Hill District Health has implemented the following strategies to sustain our health services by:
- Creating a Medical Services Division
- Establishing a Primary Health Medical Centre (Medical Clinic) to attract and train our required medical staff for hospital cover.
- Partnership with Monash University as a training facility for Fourth year medical students
- Partnering with Bendigo Health and Echuca Regional Health to improve GP physician and GP proceduralist training opportunities in the Loddon Mallee region
- Established Murray City Country Coast (MCCC) Postgraduate GP Registrar Training Program through the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) and Australian College of Rural & Remote Medicine (ACRRM)
- Contracting visiting doctors for Emergency Department, Obstetrics and Anaesthesia to fill in gaps due to Medical Professional shortages
There are increased medical costs for a number of years while our investment in strengthening our capacity to train future medical staff takes effect. Patient safety and access to local services is our priority and we will work with other health services to meet this challenge.
Monash Medical Students pictured with Dr Ernan Hession