Swan Hill District Health would like to provide the community with a brief update on the progress of SHDH moving towards a case for a new health service building.
1. Masterplan Exercise stage
- The masterplan exercise, conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services with input from our health service and the community, was finalised in late August.
- The masterplan exercise produced three broad options for redevelopment.
Option 1 - Redevelop the current SHDH site with Operating Suite on the same level as the Acute and Maternity ward;
Option 2 - Redevelop the current SHDH site with Operating Suite directly above the Acute and Maternity ward, connected via lifts;
Option 3 - Redevelopment on a new site to the current site, location not determined.
Option 2 is the masterplan preferred option at this time.
2. Feasibility Study stage
- A feasibility study is currently underway and should be completed shortly.
- The feasibility study looks more closely at the preferred redevelopment options that were produced in the master planning stage.Essentially this stage tests if the preferred plans would work and be able to meet the community’s future health service needs.
3. Business Case stage
- Once the feasibility study is completed, SHDH will work with the Department of Health and Human Services to progress to a business case to be presented to the State Government for the redevelopment.
- The business case may indicate that the redevelopment be done in stages. In the first instance, Stage 1 works would be prioritised.
- Stage 1 works would be likely to include a new emergency department, radiology department, main entry and acute and maternity ward.
Swan Hill District Health would like to acknowledge the support received from the community thus far in making the case for new health service facilities for Swan Hill and the surrounding communities.
Whilst there is no guarantee of a positive outcome to our endeavours just yet, SHDH remains committed to our end goal of providing the best care experience for our community and together with a committed Board, staff group and community, SHDH will continue to strongly advocate our case for new hospital infrastructure at the earliest opportunity.