Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)

As you get older, everyday tasks can become more difficult. Even though you need help, you may still want to live at home. Asking for help doesn’t mean losing your independence or moving out of home.

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) helps senior Australians access entry-level support services to live independently and safely at home.

Swan Hill District Health is funded to provide the following services:

  • District nursing
  • Allied health (dietetics, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, podiatry, speech pathology)
  • Social Support Groups / Planned Activity Groups (Adult Day Services)


Eligibility for this program is based on your support needs and age. To be eligible for the program you must:

  • Be aged 65 years and over (or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples)
  • Have difficulty performing activities of daily living without help due to functional limitations (for example communications, social interaction, mobility or self-care)
  • Live in the community

A face-to-face assessment will determine eligibility and ensure that the right services are made available to those that need them.

A referral from My Aged Care must be generated to access services through this funding stream.

My Aged Care is a National Aged Care System, designed to be sustainable into the future and give all Australians more control and easier, equitable access to aged care services.

You or your family can register with My Aged Care before receiving health & community services by:

  • Calling the My Aged Care Contact Centre 1800 200 422 (8am-8pm Mon-Fri, 10am-2pm Sat).
  • Going online at and enter details on the online form
  • Asking staff at Swan Hill District Health and Swan Hill Rural City Council for help.